Hamlin promises ‘all will be exposed’ when lawsuit trial begins

Denny Hamlin didn’t have much to say about the latest in the battle between 23XI Racing and NASCAR Saturday at Dover Motor Speedway, but what he did say was loud and clear.

“I don’t have any direct comment on that,” Hamlin said in reference to Tyler Reddick potentially leaving 23XI Racing. “All I can tell you, and it’ll be my blanket answer for all questions about this, is that if you want answers, if you want to understand why this is all happening, come Dec. 1 you’ll get the answers that you’re looking for and all will be exposed.”

23XI Racing and Front Row Motorsports filed a joint antitrust lawsuit against NASCAR in October. The latest development in the litigation occurred earlier this week, when the preliminary injunction that allowed the two organizations to compete as charter teams expired following a June ruling from a three-judge panel that vacated the order.

The six combined teams from 23XI Racing and Front Row Motorsports are running as Open teams at Dover Motor Speedway and Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Open teams are not guaranteed starting positions and receive significantly less prize money.

More NASCAR
Zilisch wins rain-shortened Xfinity race at Dover
Logano set to make 600th career Cup Series start at Dover
Larson admits Cup's summer swing has 'been a struggle' for the No. 5

Fortunately, there is no danger of 23XI Racing and Front Row missing either race at Dover or Indianapolis as there are fewer than 40 teams entered. However, a new preliminary injunction has been filed by the two organizations in the hopes of regaining their charter status for the remainder of the season.

A decision has not been made on that request.

In the meantime, the teams were denied a new restraining order that would keep NASCAR from taking and selling the charters. NASCAR told the court that the charters would not be sold until the preliminary injunction is ruled on.

Reddick, who drives the No. 45 Toyota and won the 2024 regular season championship, making the Championship 4 with 23XI Racing, has a clause in his contract stating that 23XI Racing must field him in a chartered car. T he clause came to light in December when 23XI Racing filed for the initial preliminary injunction.

“Everything related to the litigation, I don’t have a comment at this time,” Reddick said Saturday. “Thank you.”

Hamlin was also asked if there is anything that has happened so far in the lawsuit process that has had him second-guessing the decision to proceed.

“Not a chance,” he said.

When asked about the possibility of 23XI Racing having to race as Open teams the remainder of the year, Hamlin said, “Dec. 1 is all that matters. Mark your calendar.”